- Luke Garner: The "shadow" child in the Garner Family. Luke has to always has to hide in the attic, which is his room, in fear of being seen by the "Population Police" and his new neighbors.
- Mrs. Garner: Luke's mom, she is very protective of Luke and is one of the main reasons why Luke is alive.
- Mr. Garner: Luke's father who works very hard on the farm with his two brothers, Mark and Matthew in order to make the family a living. Luke's dad is very strict about Luke being seen, but worries about his safety.
- Mark Garner: One of Luke's older brothers who always teases Luke about being a "shadow" child, but still loves him and would not like anything to happen to Luke.
- Matthew Garner: One of Luke's older brothers who always teases Luke about being a "shadow" child, but still loves him and would not like anything to happen to Luke.
- Jen Tablot: Luke's neighbor who is also a "shadow" child. She is the first outside family member, and "shadow" child that Luke has met. She is the daughter of George Tablot. She is not afraid of the Population Police, and the government.
- George Tablot: Jen's father, an extremely wealthy man, a baron, one of the top officials of the Population Police and one of the most powerful people in the country. He is in fact a double agent, sabotaging the Population Police from within. His daughter, Jen, attempts to rally against the Population Police, yet she dies during the rally. In the end, he assists Luke with his escape into the real world.
- Population Police